Friday, August 3, 2012

Home, Sweet Home - Thank you Mom and Dad!


We finally made it home! 27 hours of travel and we are safely nestled back into our regular lives. A great night's sleep and I am now taking time to reflect on the last 11 days. Did we really just do that, or was it all just a dream?!?

I can't thank my parents enough for this incredible experience!! They began a tradition years ago with their first grandchild, taking each one of them on trips at 5, 10 and 15 years old. They were allowed to choose the destination and work together to plan an adventure. Somehow one or more of my four older sisters cleverly convinced my Dad that 40-year-old daughters should also have a turn, and the result for me was this trip of a lifetime. As the youngest, with the youngest two of the ten grandchildren, we decided to pool the boys' trip and my trip together into a family affair. Together we picked Africa. (Rick was invited as well, but sadly couldn't take the time off from work.)

With over 1,700 photos (Rick loaned us his camera if we promised to bring back at least 800) and video footage, we now have the satisfying opportunity ahead of sorting them all out and creating something to help savor the memories. 

I leave you with a few last clips from our journey:


Baby Elephant learning to use his trunk


Lion calling his comrades to gather


Also, the name of the company who helped organize the whole thing:
The Africa Adventure Company (http://www.africa-adventure.com/)
I can't say enough good things about the arrangement and planning that they did. The trip went off without a hitch. We were welcomed at every stop by someone with a smile and strong arms to help get us to our hotels and back to the airports. The accommodations were perfect and all of our transportation was on time and comfortable. If you are ever considering this type of trip I highly recommend you give them a call.

Our guide posted this on Facebook this morning and I thought I'd share it here. Some of the things he mentions were specific things that we did, but mostly it gives you a feel of what it was like to be there.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Mom and Dad. You are both amazing and wonderful adventurers!



No comments:

Post a Comment